Dr Bassel Hindawi to be chief executive and chairman
The DIFC Insurance Association has elected Dr Bassel Hindawi as chief executive and chairman and has also selected a full board.
The trade body is based in Dubai and was set up to represent the interests of its members, be a forum to exchange views and help develop the specialisms of the DIFC’s insurance market.
It now has 31 full members and three associate members after launching earlier this year.
Hindawi has been heavily involved with the organisation and was originally appointed by the DIFC as an advisor to set up a trade body in the region.
Hindawi said: ”With the continued growth of the (re)insurance market at the DIFC in terms of size and number of firms, the DIFC IA is well-positioned to shape the market for future growth and development.”
The rest of the board is:
1. Lloyd’s Dubai Middle East general representative Mark Cooper
2. Metlife Middle East & Africa head Julio Garcia-Villalon
3. AIG MEA managing director Michael Jensen
4. UIB (Gulf) chief executive George Kabban
5. Elseco chief executive and chairman Laurent Lemaire
6. Aon Benfield MENA chief executive Ahmed Rajab
7. Zurich Insurance Company Middle East chief executive Brian Reilly
8. Lockton MENA chief executive Tony Saada
Full membership of the association is open to all core insurance firms in the DIFC, including reinsurers, regional offices, underwriting agencies, coverholders, MGAs, insurance management and brokers.
Associate membership is open to service providers such as law firms, actuarial firms, advisory and consulting firms and risk management firms.